Meat pie has got to be my all time favourite snacks, you really can’t beat the deliciousness of this melting in your mouth , from the crust to the fillings , its just beautiful .I cautiously try not to bake this at home because myself and my household will demolish this in hours ermm maybe at most 48 hours .
This is once a month or every other month treat or if you like weekly treats, it is an easy recipe to make with majority of the ingredients already in your pantry .
- Minced Beef 300g
- Flour 320g
- Unsalted Butter 150g ( Room temperature )
- 1 Potato
- 1 Carrot
- 1 tbs corn flour ( alternative plain flour )
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Egg for Blazing
- 50ml Water
- Thyme , beef seasoning or stock cube , white pepper , salt for filling .
Making the dough
- In a bowl , add your flour ,salt ,baking powder , butter and a pinch of salt .
- Rub this together with the tip of your finger , this process should feel like breaking the butter into the flour , continue this process until it turns into a wet mix like this .
3. when you have achieved this , add your water , little by little until it looks something like this then set it aside for 25 mins to rest in the a cool place or the fridge.
Method for the filling
- In a cooking pot , add just about 2 table spoon of oil ,add your onions to sauté on low heat .
- Add your minced beef and allow to cook ,after 3 mins it should start producing its own juice , otherwise add half a cooking spoon of water , allow to simmer for 2 more mins .
- Add seasoning to Mix .
- Add chopped Potatoes ,carrots and if you are making this spicy you can add your chopped scotch Bonet at this point also .
- Allow this to simmer for another 3 , then add in one 1 tsp of corn flour or 1 tbs of flour depends on what you are using , this is going to act as a thickener/binder , allow to cook for one min then turn this off and allow to cool .
Now lets Assemble these lovelies
- In a Dry surface sprinkle some flour and roll out your dough with a rolling pin until smooth .
- Cut this into round shapes using a cutter or any round plate .
- Add 2tbs of filling to each cut dough , you can increase or reduce this to desired amount depends on how much fillings you like in your pie .
- Fold this together and seal with a fork , ensure this is securely sealed to avoid leaking when its in the oven.
- Pre heat your oven to 160 degrees for 6 mins .
- Repeat the process of assembling the pies until you have used up all your dough .
- line pie in a baking taking tray on a parchment paper
- Glaze pie with whole Egg and poke with fork in two places to allow air go into the pie when baking
- Bake in the oven for 20mins or until golden brown .
Tips to Note
- Do not overwork your dough , as this will make it very difficult to work with, treat the dough with love.
- When you start rolling your dough on a dry surface and it sticks , sprinkle some flour on your surface to release the friction.
Enjoy this with a cold drink of choice .